LA: Sentence to Paragraph (6th-8th Grade)
Class: Sentence to Paragraph (Lessons 1-30)
Course Track: Weekly, Morning
Course Time: 10:30 am – 12:00 pm
Teacher: Heather Sanders
Teacher Email: email@example.com
Class Fee: $25.00/year
Class Maximum: 10
Class Minimum: 5
Grade/Age(s): 6th-8th Grade
Sentence to Paragraph Writing (Lessons 1-30) is a middle school English curriculum designed to cover Grammar, sentence composition, paragraph structure, and writing organization; skills imperative in any middle school English curriculum.
Students entering this course need to know how to write a basic sentence and follow directions. The student learns how to integrate grammar into their writing for more descriptive sentences, and gain skills in the organizational process. The inclusion of figures of speech and grammar teaches creative writing.
This class will:
- Reinforce the construction of a basic sentence
- Improve sentence structure with basic grammar and figures of speech
- Teach the organizational process of brainstorming, outlining, rough draft and editing
- Quickly develop more interesting, informative sentences
- Give steps to writing the basic paragraph
- Progress to writing two-paragraph papers
- Introduce the use of guidelines, checklists and correct structure
- Write creative poetry
Sentence to Paragraph is suggested for ages 11-14, or grade levels 6th-8th.
Since we will begin lessons on the very first day of class, students must have ALL of the following supplies from Day One:
- Lessons 1-30 of the Sentence to Paragraph Writing Student Worksheets ($18 + tax and/or shipping). These can be purchased at The Write Foundation website by following this link.
- 1 3-ring binder (3″ is recommended). Students who previously took Sentence to Paragraph may simply re-use their binder from the previous year if it is still in good working order.
- loose leaf notebook paper
- pencil or pens
- 6+ highlighters (must have the colors pink, blue, yellow, green, and orange). I highly recommend the Sharpie “Smear Guard” Accent highlighters available at Office Depot.
- 8 notebook divider tabs (Assignments, Checklists, Word Lists, Lesson Notes, Reading List, Graded Work, Mind Benders, Worksheets
- 1 Dictionary (can use a pocket dictionary)
- 1 Thesaurus (can use a pocket thesaurus)